LINKS Mentor Resources
- Jokes and riddles
- Coloring pages and hidden pictures
- Video meetings with your mentee
- Games for video meetings
Jokes and riddles
|Why did the teacher wear sunglasses to school?
||Because her/his students were so bright|
|Where do wasps go when they are not feeling well?||The waspital.|
|What is a witch’s favorite subject in school?||Spelling.|
|What kind of tree fits in your palm?||A Palm Tree.|
|Why is it so windy in a sports arena?||Because of all those fans|
|What do you call cheese that’s not yours?||NACHO Cheese!|
|Ever Seen a Four eye (i) lizard?||Liiiizard|
|Why does the milking stool only have 3 legs?||Because the cow has the udder.|
|What does the penguin eat for supper (dinner)?||Ice chips.|
|How does a bee go to school?||On a school buzz|
|What is a cats favorite color?||Purrrrple.|
|Where do fish keep their money?||In a river bank.|
|What do you call a bear with no socks on?||Bare-foot.|
|How do you make an octopus laugh?||You give him ten tickles. (Tentacles)|
|What do you call a cow that eats your grass?||A lawn moo-er.|
|Did I tell you the joke about the broken pencil?||Never mind. It’s pointless|
|What do you call a Dinosaur that’s sleeping?||A Dino snore|
|Why did the football coach go the bank?||To get his quarterback|
|Can I tell you a cat joke?||(Sure.) Just kitten!|
|What has hands and a face, but can't hold anything or smile?||A clock|
|I am always running, but never get tired or hot. What am I?||The refrigerator|
|What has one head, one foot and four legs?||A bed.|
|If you were in a race and paced the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in?||2nd place!|
|What is the center of gravity?||The letter V!|
|What has a head, tail, is brown and has no legs?||A penny!|
|What gets bigger and bigger as you take more away from it?||A hole!|
|Can you spell rotted with two letters?||DK (decay)|
|How many months have 28 days?||All of them!|
Coloring pages and hidden pictures
- Coloring Pages (Coloring Grid, Color by Number, Coloring Puzzle)
- Hidden Pictures
- Two Truths and a Wish Game
Objective: To figure out which statement is a "Wish".
Instructions: Mentor and mentee each prepare 3 statements - two truths and one wish. Be creative and try not to share obvious statements.
Example: I have three siblings. I went to Italy last summer, and I have one cat.
Two truths: three siblings and one cat.
Each Person shares his or her three statements.
Take it in turns to decide which statement was the wish.
- Card Games: You and your student would both need a set of cards. Click here for a link to several games and the directions.
- Crazy Eights
- Tic Tac Toe
On a piece of paper, you or your lunch buddy draw a board and let the other tell you where to put his/her X/O’s.
Video meetings with your mentee
- In your first meeting, share some things about yourself and ask questions, too. Do not worry if your mentee is not initially excited about answering your questions, and do not rush them to answer quickly or to move on to another question. Letting them take their time, shows that you are genuinely interested in what they have to say.
- As you get to know your mentee, think about what they might be experiencing, thinking, feeling, needing or how they might behave during the session and how you can prepare to support them (and consider the same for yourself).
- Keep in mind that a parent/guardian or other family member may be present or in the vicinity. To that end, please keep your conversation to a level that doesn’t involve personal disclosure, sensitive or confidential information about a family member.
- Think about how your mentee might experience the session, i.e., if they are more tactile and like to keep busy; aren’t comfortable with eye contact, etc., and how to plan for that.
- Think about where you last “left off,” and how you might be able to make that an immediate connection point, such as:
- “Last time we saw each other, you were working on ____ or we were doing _____. Have you done anything more with that since then?”
- “When I last saw you, my hair was a totally different color than it is now. Nobody recognizes me anymore, not even my pets! How about you, has anything changed?”
- Think about what you know about your mentee’s family, i.e., “I remember you mentioning that your older brother/sister is graduating this year. How does your family feel about how much things have changed?”
- I have been looking forward to telling you what I have learned about ________ (gardening/working on cars/etc.)
- I just read a terrific book about ________. Did you know……
- Show photos or something that demonstrates how you have been spending your time. (You can be funny i.e., show photos of hand sanitizer or silly masks, etc.)
Games for video meetings
LINKS Program Coordinator